The Checklist API module is required: https://www.drupal.org/project/checklistapi
Credits & Thanks
Thank you to Travis Carden for helping Volacci create and maintain the SEO Checklist module. Travis also created the required Checklist API module.
About the SEO Checklist Module
The Drupal SEO Checklist module uses Drupal SEO best practices to check your website for proper search engine optimization.
The SEO Checklist module and the original book from which this guide is based upon, were designed to work together. While the SEO Checklist module tells you what to do, the book (and this guide) tells you how to do it. Over the course of this guide, we go through the SEO Checklist module one task at a time, explaining in more detail how to do each task and sometimes even a bit of why each item is needed.
As a module, the SEO Checklist does several helpful things that will speed up your work and learning curve.
- It provides a to-do list with checkboxes of the SEO steps needed to optimize your Drupal site. There are modules to install and tasks to complete, organized by function. If you own this book or follow through this guide, you’ve got the one-two punch for Drupal SEO.
- It checks for installed modules and, if it finds them, checks them off for you.
- It adds a timestamp and username to track task completion.
Install and Enable the SEO Checklist Module
NOTE: Drupal module installation instructions for modules can be found here: https://www.drupal.org/docs/extending-drupal/installing-modules
- Install the SEO Checklist module available here: https://www.drupal.org/project/seo_checklist
- Install the Checklist API module available here: https://www.drupal.org/project/checklistapi
- Once the modules are installed, make sure they are enabled by going to the Extend page of your website: Click Extend (Coffee: “extend”) or visit https://<yourDrupalSite.dev>/admin/modules.
- In the module filter search field, start typing “seo checklist” to find the SEO Checklist module.
- Select the checkbox next to “SEO Checklist” and click the Install button at the bottom of the page.
- You may get a message stating, “You must enable the Checklist API module to install SEO Checklist. Would you like to continue with the above?” If so, click the Continue button.
Give yourself permissions to use the SEO Checklist module.
- Click People (Coffee: “people”) and click on the Permissions tab. Or visit https://<yourDrupalSite.dev>/admin/people/permissions.
- Select the appropriate checkboxes for
- “Edit any checklist”
- “Edit the SEO checklist checklist”
- “View any checklist”
- “View the SEO checklist checklist”
- “View the Checklists report”
Note: You may not have the same user types as in the image below -- select the appropriate check boxes for your user type.
- Click the Save permissions button at the bottom of the page.
Using the SEO Checklist module
To use the SEO Checklist module:
- Go to Configuration > Search and metadata > SEO Checklist (Coffee: “seo”) or visit https://<yourDrupalSite.dev>/admin/config/search/seo-checklist in your browser.
- You may see the message at the top that says “SEO checklist found X unchecked items...”. If you do, it means that there are some tasks already completed. Nice! You’re ahead of the game. If this happens, click the Save button near the bottom of the page.
- Click on the Be efficient tab. This expands the section and you'll be able to see:
- A progress bar that shows you how many tasks remain;
- Timestamps on your saved tasks (if you’ve done any yet);
- Commands for Composer, Drupal Console, and Drush;
- Task links to help you quickly get things done.
You’ll also notice that the tabs on the SEO Checklist loosely follow the sections of this Drupal SEO Guide and our Drupal 8 SEO book so you can easily follow along and check things off as you go.
As you continue on your Drupal SEO journey you can use the SEO Checklist module to make sure you’ve done all you can to get the most out of your Drupal site.
You can now keep track of the Drupal SEO steps you've completed.
We always try to make sure our posts are as accurate and up to date as possible. If you find something is wrong, or you have a question, please feel free to contact us with any questions or feedback you might have.
And remember, Volacci stands ready to help you implement your Drupal SEO should you need us to.
Did you like this walk through? Please tell your friends about it!