Be Ready For Seasonal Smartphone Search Surge
Google has warned in a blog post earlier today that smartphone-based search will be pronounced this year during the Holiday season, most notably around Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and on.
Using the data from the 2012 Labor Day weekend, Google reported:
Searches on smartphones were 7% higher compared to those on a typical Monday, and searches on tablets jumped by 25%. But perhaps more interestingly, clicks on mobile ads spiked even more dramatically in comparison to other average days.
Here are the recommendations provided by Google for getting ready for mobile search this holiday season:
- Make sure that you have campaigns or new ad text for your holiday promotions or messages.
- Increase your budget cap on holidays to account for additional clicks.
- Adopt an always-on strategy to make sure your budget lasts throughout the day. Consumers are researching and shopping at any time throughout the day and you should make sure you can be found.
- Segment your historic campaign performance by device to understand how people interact with you across different devices like smartphones and tablets, and tweak your campaigns accordingly to capitalize.
- Expand keyword lists to include holiday-related terms and ensure you have keyword parity between your desktop and mobile campaigns so you’re reaching potential customers regardless of what device they’re using.