Is Your Drupal Website Antisocial?
Tips to Make Social Media a Part of Your Drupal SEO Strategy
Social media needs to be a part of your search engine optimization strategy. While the level of involvement in social media can be determined by your market and your customers, ignoring social media can no longer be an option. Smart Drupal SEO strategies include building authority in social media channels.
Search engine algorithms for social media vary
Google has stated clearly that social signals such as the number of Facebook likes and Twitter followers are not factored into Google’s search algorithm. To Google, each individual tweet or Facebook post is considered a web page on its own. On the other hand, Bing says that it does look at the social authority of a user. “We look at how many people you follow, how many follow you, and this can add a little weight to a listing in regular search results.”
Drupal SEO improves with strong social media presence
Even with these mixed stands, having a strong social media strategy can directly and indirectly impact SEO.
- Social links help provide website and keyword credibility. How often a link has been shared and the authority of those you share it makes a difference. Your Drupal website’s ranking can improve as social media links serve as credible back links.
- Social media posts show up in Google rankings. Social sites such as Facebook and Twitter are crawled for data in the same way that it would be on any other site and are returned in search results. In fact, social media profiles are often among the top results in search listings for brand names. Just like website content, social media content should use the words your audience searches for.
- Social media channels are search engines too. People don’t just go to Google for searches, they also use social media channels to find what they’re looking for. For example, Twitter Advanced Search can be used to search for words, phrases, hashtags and users. Your content may be found first in social media.
- Social media can have a positive impact on your website traffic. Social media can serve as the “bait’ to get people to your Drupal website. When you have clear links to website content from your social media posts, you can expect your website traffic to increase.
Tips to make your Drupal website more social
If your Drupal website is antisocial, it’s time to change. First, and foremost, you need create a presence in one or two social media channels. Choose the channel that you will actively participate in then follow these tips to make your Drupal website more social.
- Make your Drupal website content shareable. Find out what content is resonating most in social media and use those results to create more content. You can even repeat your messages in click-to-tweet boxes.
- Use your SEO research to add social media meta tags. Adding meta tags to old social media content that has performed well can give it a boost.
- Add share buttons to your website content. This makes it easy for visitors to share your content on social media. For Drupal 8, I recommend the Share Buttons by AddToAny module. This module adds SVG sharing icons including a universal share button, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, and many more. You can choose which pages and type of content you wish to share.
Learn more Drupal SEO strategies with Drupal 8 SEO
Learn more about using the Share Buttons by AddToAny module as well as other Drupal 8 SEO recommendations by doing one (or all!) of the following:
- Read Drupal 8 SEO. This step-by-step guide will help you generate traffic, leads, and revenue with Drupal.
- Install the Drupal 8 SEO Checklist. It follows the book closely, but can be used separately.
- Sign up for one of Volacci's Drupal SEO Kickstarts -- we'll take care of configuring the social sharing on your website for you, as well as managing many other items that will help boost your site's SEO.