Social Currency: Pay with a Tweet
Leverage your social media authority in a whole new way with the latest in online currency -- Pay with a Tweet. This online payment system was conceived and created back in 2010 and has recently received a new, sleek makeover that’s resulted in renewed buzz.
But as is the way with all the latest and greatest hot topics, this tool requires some further examination into what it does and how it can play a beneficial part in a content marketing strategy.
What is Pay with a Tweet?
Pay with a Tweet is the brainchild of Leif Abraham and Christian Behrendt created for websites to “sell [their] products for the price of a tweet.” Though there are many variations of this functionality out there, their version of Pay with a Tweet is among the most popular. In fact, it was the first social commerce app ever to win a Cannes Lion award.
What does it do?
Pay with a Tweet is a button that asks your website’s visitors to send out a promotional tweet of your content and/or company in exchange for any downloadable content of your choosing, such as an eBook, whitepaper or webinar.
How do I get it?
Visiting paywithatweet.com sends you to a form where you can create a button for each piece of downloadable content you want to be available in exchange for a tweet. Included in the form for creating a button:
- Link to the downloadable content (Pay with a Tweet does not currently host content)
- The tweet you’d like to be sent out
- A bit.ly link to your website or content page
- Name and description of your downloadable content
From there, you get your button and your URL and all you need to do is add the button to your website on the page where your selected downloadable content lives.
Why should I consider using it?
Social media is a well-known, cost efficient way for small to medium sized businesses to get the word out about your company. The benefit of using Pay with a Tweet is two-fold:
1. Social promotion. You control what the tweet that goes out says. Someone unaffiliated with your company will be tweeting about your company, adding a link to your website and increasing your social media presence to their unique sphere of followers.
2. Content promotion. Tweeting in exchange for your high-quality content is a relatively easy request, especially compared to asking for money, signing up for an account on your site or giving up their email address.
Use Pay with a Tweet to bring in new visitors who are hesitant to give up their contact information and then hook them with the content they end up downloading. Once they’ve been exposed to your content, they will be more likely to come back for more content and give up their email address in order to get it.
If your website is offering great, quality downloadable content but struggling with ways to get the word out there, or if you want to increase your social media marketing reach, Pay with a Tweet might be the right tool for you.