Seven Steps for a Great Website
After working with hundreds of small business websites, here are seven things that Search Engine People has found make them productive and successful. Take a look at the list below and see how many of them you do on your website:
- Put Your Picture On It: Did you know your About page is the second most visited page on your site? That's because people want to know who they are dealing with. You need to make it personal if you want to get results.
- Ask for Action: Your site should have a clear call to action – what do you want your visitor to do? Ask the visitor to take action, or you probably won't get it.
- Update it with unique content – regularly! The best way to keep your content fresh is to have a blog on your website. According to a recent HubSpot study, companies that blog 10 – 15 times per month get 5x more traffic than companies that don't.
- Syndicate Your Content When you blog, you can re-use your content for many purposes, including your email newsletter, updates to your social media networks like Facebook, Twitter and Google+. All blogs include an RSS feed which allows you to easily syndicate your content to other sites.
- Measure and Optimize: Google provides a free tool for this called Google Analytics. Once you add this to your site, you can measure the effects of your marketing and tell what is making a difference.
- Be Mobile Ready: Next year more people will use Mobile devices than PCs to get online. Smartphones are ubiquitous today. That's why it's very important that you deliver a mobile experience to your mobile visitors. Most smartphones will display your full site, shrunk down to fit the device.