Must-Attend Drupal Events of 2014
Drupal events are tons of fun and you can learn a lot from them – how many can you go to?
It’s perfectly alright to live and breathe Drupal; but are you aware of all the great Drupal events that will be taking place in 2014? If not, or you’re just looking for a refresher, here’s a list of the best DrupalCamps and conferences throughout 2014.
I encourage you to continue reading, however, I will share a few good links from the beginning as to where you can find more information about these events. The first is from BuildAModule who provide “amazing Drupal training for you or your team.” Their list shows all upcoming (and past) DrupalCamps and conferences. The second, from Drupical, provides a map of upcoming Drupal events, sortable by continent and country. There are other ways to find out about Drupal events, but I have found these two resources to be quite comprehensive.
Fortunately, there are numerous Drupal events to attend. Below is a list of the highlights on this year's Drupal event calendar.
DrupalCamp London – London, UK – February 28-March 2 DrupalCamp Phoenix - Phoenix, AZ – February 28-March 2
- DrupalCamp PHX is a 2-day conference organized by Drupal professionals and the Phoenix Drupal User Group (PHX DUG) to promote and advance the Drupal community in Arizona and the Southwest region.
GLAD (Greater Los Angeles Drupal) Camp – Pasadena, CA – March 7-9
- GLADCamp is a free, 3-day conference at the Hilton Pasadena & Convention Center in Pasadena, California. This conference is packed with three full days of activities, including sessions, presentations, a Non-Profit Summit, trainings, a job fair, a website "barn raising" to benefit a local non-profit, and more! GLADCamp is for All Things Drupal and is brought to you by the same team who organize countless Drupal events in the Greater Los Angeles Area, including Drupal Design Camp LA, the Drupal Job Fairs, the High Performance Drupal meetups, Drupal Sprint Weekends and Drupal Coworking Fridays.
Florida DrupalCamp – Orlando, FL – March 8-9
- Florida DrupalCamp is an annual conference that brings together web developers from all over the world to learn, network, and discuss web development and the Drupal content management system.
DrupalCamp Stockholm – Stockholm, Sweden – March 15
- Notable speakers:
- Commerce Guys' Robert Douglass
- Creator of BuildAModule (from above), Chris Shattuck
- Notable speakers:
MID (Midwest) Camp – Chicago, IL – March 28-30
- MidCamp 2014 will be at the University Center in the heart of Chicago. Located within walking distance to tourist attractions, restaurants and nightlife, MidCamp promises an amazing adventure - before, during and after.
DrupalCamp NOLA – New Orleans, LA – March 29
- Combining a leading content management system with a great destination, the inaugural DrupalCamp New Orleans promises a weekend of community, case studies, code, food and fun.
- Keynote speaker: BuildAModule’s Chris Shattuck (travel much?)
NYC Camp – New York, NY – April 10-13 DrupalCamp SC – Columbia, SC – April 18-19 DrupalCamp Stanford – Stanford, CA – April 18-19 DrupalCamp Toronto – Toronto, Canada – May 2-4
- DrupalCamp Toronto is an annual conference, organized by the non-profit Toronto Drupal Users Group organization, focused on discussions and training about the Drupal content management system. The conference is hosted by the community, for the community.
DrupalCamp Spain – Valencia, Spain – May 16-18
- This year the event is divided into several areas. While the DrupalCamp ticket includes the usual: Saturday and Sunday access to the sessions and workshops, we are also adding a new event on Friday: the Business Day, where CEOs and CTOs of companies of Spain and Europe can gather and discuss.
DrupalCamp PA – Pittsburgh, PA – August 2/3
- Drupal Camp PA is a 2 day Drupal developer conference with topical sessions, keynote speakers, "Birds of a Feather" breakouts, and code sprints. The theme of the conference "Bridging Higher Education & Industry" demonstrates the understanding of the importance of open source solutions in higher education as well as industry. This conference is primarily coordinated by an executive committee who actively participates in the Drupal Pittsburgh User Group and Penn State University Drupal User Group. However, the event would not be possible without the help of the Drupal Association and the volunteers dedicated to the Drupal Community.
Twin Cities Drupal Camp – Minneapolis, MN – August 7-10
- Save the date for Twin Cities Drupal Camp 2014. They'll be back in Minneapolis for Drupal training, workshops, and sprints.
DrupalCamp LA – Los Angeles/Orange County, CA – September 6/7
- DrupalCamp LA is the largest annual FREE conference for the Drupal community in Los Angeles, Orange County, and the Greater Southern California Area. New for 2014: SoCal PHP mini-camp for all things PHP! Join us Saturday, September 6 and Sunday, September 7, 2014 at UC Irvine.
DrupalCamp Ohio - Columbus, OH - November 14/15
DrupalSouth Wellington – Wellington, New Zealand – February 14-16
- John Sheridan, Australian Government Chief Technology Officer will be providing the opening session and keynote to DrupalSouth's Business Day focusing on Drupal and open source application in business.
DrupalCon Austin – Austin, TX – June 2-6
- DrupalCon, the largest gathering of the Drupal community in North America is coming to Austin, Texas, the tech-savvy, live-music capital of the world.
- If you want to go all out while here, the X Games are in Austin this summer right after DrupalCon – June 5-8
- The 2014 Blue Drop Awards will be presented this week.
DrupalCon Amsterdam – Amsterdam, Netherlands – September 29-October 3
- DrupalCon Amsterdam is the first EU DrupalCon ever held in the same city twice, and for a good reason! Home to 174 different nationalities, Amsterdam is a true melting pot of cultures. The city has a remarkably compact center with many interesting locations within walking distance. In addition to its fascinating mixture of cultures, Amsterdam offers a nice blend of business and pleasure.
Charlotte Drupal Drive-In – Charlotte, NC – February 22
- The Drive-In will be an un-conference-style, day-long event, where the subject matter will be chosen by the attendees. Talks will be geared towards Drupal and related web technologies.
The Drupal Drop In – Austin, TX – March 8 (during SXSW!)
- For the third year in a row, we're having a big Drupal get together in March! Come on down for a Texas-style cookout hootnany! (their word, not mine)
- Opening remarks by Dries Buytaert
- Sponsors: Acquia, FourKitchens, and Volacci
Drupal Developer Days – Szeged, Hungary – March 24-30
- Drupal Dev Days originated in Munich and after Brussels, Barcelona and Dublin, now goes back to the place of DrupalCon Europe 2008: Szeged, Hungary.
As mentioned above, this list only mentions a few of the major Drupal events coming up in 2014. Each site obviously has more information about their respective event and I hope you continue on with your own research to determine which event(s) you plan on attending. Now, go forth, and register!