Step 1: Identify your targets
Identify the people with the loudest voices in your market. If you can get those people to share your stuff, chances are their audience is going to start sharing it too, creating a ripple effect.
- Go to Followerwonk’s “Search Twitter bios” tab: You don’t have to sign up for the full service to use most of its features, but if you do have a SEOmoz membership, all features are included.
- Search for your priority keywords.
- Sort the list by the metrics you think are important to establish social reach, and pick a few of the top profiles as your targets. Try to find people with high social authority and a high volume of tweets.
- Select your target
- Rinse and repeat until you have a list of at least 10 targets.
Step 2: Analyze your target’s tweets:
- Who do they talk to regularly? Consider these people for future targeting.
- What websites do they share most often? Go to those websites and see what the content looks like.
- When do they usually tweet? This will come in handy later.
- What type of content do they most often tweet about? Do they go to conferences and tweet panels? Do they tweet about videos they’ve seen?
Step 3: Create something they’ll talk about
Build something your target influencer will talk about by finding those interesting convergences in his areas of interest. Use all of your research to hone in on topics that sound like something your targets would share.
Step 4: Tell them about what you created
Let your targets know you created something, but before you even mention the content you created, prove that you’re not just some selfish jerk who is only interested in self promotion. Share other people’s content with them, and strike up interesting conversations with them.
Then, to help get their attention, tell them about how they inspired the creation of your own content, and let them know how valuable you’ve found their insight to be. Do not ask them for links; do not ask them to share it with their audience. If they find it valuable enough, they’ll share it — without your even having to ask.
If all goes well, by the end of this process you’ll have at least one great new piece of content on your website that’s perfectly primed for earning valuable shares. Furthermore, you’ll improve consumer confidence in your brand, you’ll start to be seen as an authoritative content provider in your niche, you’ll start the organic search traffic snowball rolling, and your social engagement metrics will go through the roof.